- 2 oz. Vodka
- Juice from 1/2 lime (full lime if you like a tangy cocktail)
- Bottle of non-alcoholic ginger beer
- Slice of lime and mint (garnish)
- Fill your copper mug with plenty of ice.
- Squeeze in the lime juice.
- Add vodka.
- Pour in ginger beer until your mug is a little more than three quarters of the way full.
- Stir and add lime and/or mint as a garnish.
- As with any recipe, the better ingredients you use, the better your recipe will turn out. If you follow this Moscow Mule recipe but use, say, cheap vodka and ginger ale (not ginger beer), it will taste fine and “get the job done” but it will pale in comparison if you would’ve used a premium vodka and a quality ginger beer (see the ginger beers list below).
- Like your cocktails with more of an acidic bite? Use the entire lime instead of just half.
- Once you’ve mastered the basic Moscow Mule recipe, give your hand a try at 9 creative Mule twists.
- To take your experience to the next level, ensure the key recipe components are well chilled; use cold ginger beer and put your Moscow Mule copper mug and vodka in the freezer for a few hours prior to mixing time.
- The non-alcoholic ginger beer market is growing rapidly and the sheer number of choices these days is vast. Do yourself a favor and test out a few different ginger beer brands to see which one(s) you like best. As you can imagine, we’ve tried a lot of them and in our opinion, the best ginger beer is by Fever Tree because it has a stronger ginger bite compared to the others we’ve experimented with. Out here in California, we’ve seen Fever Tree in Whole Foods and Safeway so check your local grocery store for the brand; if you’re unable to find it locally, Fever Tree is also available on Amazon. Bottom line: if you like a more pronounced ginger flavor in your Moscow Mule or any other cocktail calling for ginger beer, without question Fever Tree is “where its at” but again, test things out since taste preferences are subjective (and yes, this testing process can be quite fun!). Other ginger beer brands we’ve tested and do the trick are:
- Stoli Ginger Beer
- Bundaberg Ginger Beer
- Reed’s Ginger Beer
- Cock ‘N Bull Ginger Beer
Treat yourself…pick up a set of copper mugs for your home, NOW!