- Handful of crushed ice
- 1-1/2 oz. Kentucky bourbon whiskey (Maker’s Mark gets the job done)
- Ginger beer
- Lime juice + a Lime slice
- Load up your copper mug with ice.
- Pour in the bourbon.
- Fill almost to the brim with ginger beer.
- Splash of lime juice on top.
- Drop in a slice of lime slice for garnish.
- Unlike the Kentucky Mule recipe, many Mule twists call for adding in twists like fruit. When mixing a drink that calls for, say, blueberries, peaches or apples, use a stronger Ginger Beer (like Fever Tree or Q Ginger Beer) for a more pronounced ginger flavor and less fruitiness. However, add more fruit than the recipe calls for and a lighter Ginger Beer (from a brand like Cock & Bull or Reed’s) if you want the fruit to stand out and the ginger flavor in the background. Stronger Ginger Beers have a tendency to override fruits and spices in these funked out Mules. You’re welcome. 🙂
- If you have copper mugs, store them or put them in the freezer for at least 30 minutes before you start spinning up Kentucky Mules…keeps your drink colder even longer.
- With any recipe, the better the ingredients, the better its going to taste…its a “garbage in, garbage out” thing and the Moscow Mule isn’t any different. When possible, use higher quality spirits (e.g. Tito’s, Smirnoff, Maker’s Mark), ginger beer (as mentioned, Fever Tree & Q are great) and fresh in-season fruits.
- If a recipe calls for a fruit, you can muddle it in, add a couple ounces of it as a puree (toss it into the blender for 30 seconds) or both.
- Most ginger beers are naturally sweet and balance well with the acidic lime flavors. However, some Moscow Mule recipes call for simple syrup so depending on your sweet tooth, the syrup might not be necessary. If you see a Mule recipe calling for it, try it without the sweetener first to gauge sweetness level then if needed, add the simple syrup. If your Mule turns out too sweet, “cut” it with an extra half of a lime (though more spirits can do the trick). 😉
Need more recipes? We’ve got your back:
- Apple Jack Mule
- Bombay Mule (with gin)
- Watermelon Moscow Mule
- Orange Moscow Mule
- Blueberry Moscow Mule
- Mexican Mule (with tequila)
- Peach Moscow Mule
- Cranberry Moscow Mule
- The Mule Refresher
- Sugar & Spice Moscow Mule
- The Pirating Mule (with rum)
- Irish Mule (with Irish whiskey)
- Old Man Mule (with Elderflower)
- Cucumber Moscow Mule
- Strawberry Moscow Mule
- Raspberry Moscow Mule
- Mango Moscow Mule
- Pineapple Moscow Mule